Vegetarian Eggplant BLTs
Submitted by Anna Pippin, MSHN
This is a very tasty and healthy vegetarian alternative to the classic BLT. It is a quick and easy lunch or dinner and goes nicely with a side of tomato soup or another soup of your choice.
Ingredients (Makes 4 Sandwiches):
● ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
● ½ cup whole wheat flour
● 1 teaspoon onion powder
● 1 teaspoon garlic powder
● Salt and pepper
● 2 eggs, beaten (or flax eggs, if you want to make vegan)
● oil to coat pan
● 1 small eggplant, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
● mayonnaise (regular or vegan)
● 8 slices bread, toasted if desired
● tomato, sliced
1. Stir panko breadcrumbs, whole wheat flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Place another bowl with the beaten eggs (or flax eggs) next to the breadcrumb mixture. Both bowls should be wide enough to fit the largest slice of eggplant.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Dip a piece of eggplant in the egg (or flax egg), and then dip in the breadcrumb mixture until fully coated. Transfer to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes, or until the bottom turns brown. Flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until both sides are brown and crispy. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices, cooking in batches to allow space between each piece in the skillet.
3. Once cooked, transfer eggplant to a towel-lined plate until ready to serve.
4. Prepare BLT sandwiches as desired with mayo, tomato, lettuce, and eggplant!
● Vegan variation: Use flax eggs and vegan mayonnaise.
● To make a flax egg: whisk 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons of water. Wait five minutes, or until the consistency is similar to a beaten egg.
Nutrition Facts (varies depending on bread type, etc, so this is an estimate)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 32 g 49 %
Saturated Fat 2 g 12 %
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 98 mg 33 %
Sodium 624 mg 26 %
Potassium 53 mg 2 %
Total Carbohydrate 67 g 22 %
Dietary Fiber 5 g 22 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 13 g 27 %
Vitamin A 13 %
Vitamin C 12 %
Calcium 6 %
Iron 4 %
Recipe from: https://gratefulgrazer.com/home/vegetarian-eggplant-blt/
See it on Anna’s Website at: https://www.holisticnutritioncoach.org/eggplant-blt
If you have a recipe you would like to share, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manager of Program Development
CommunityCare of Lyme