Curry Cashew Chickpea Quinoa Salad
Submitted by Anna Pippin, MSHN
Loaded with flavor, veggies, herbs, and curry maple glazed cashews! This fun and filling salad is high in protein and fiber and would be a fantastic side dish or main meal!
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 1 2/3 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- ½ tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup dried cherries cranberries)
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup finely diced cilantro
- 1/3 cup finely diced flat leaf parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the maple curry toasted cashews:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- ½ tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Add in quinoa and water to a medium pot and bring mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook for exactly 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork, then replace the lid and allow quinoa to steam for 5-10 more minutes. While quinoa is cooking you can chop all your veggies.
- Once quinoa is done cooking, stir in chickpeas, peas, ginger, curry powder, turmeric, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Next stir in red bell pepper, shredded carrots, dried cranberries, red onion, cilantro, parsley and lemon juice.
- Finally make your maple cayenne toasted cashews: place cashews in a skillet over medium heat. Toast cashews for 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently until they turn slightly golden brown and fragrant, then turn off heat and immediately add in maple syrup, curry powder and sea salt. Stir for 30 more seconds to coat cashews, then transfer to a plate or piece of parchment paper to cool for a few minutes. Cashews may stick together so try to spread them in an even layer when they are cooling.
- Top quinoa with cashews and serve! Makes 8 servings.
Recipe adapted from: https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/curry-cashew-chickpea-quinoa-salad/
|Amount Per Serving
|% Daily Value *
|Total Fat 6 g
|Saturated Fat 1 g
|Monounsaturated Fat 3 g
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
|Trans Fat 0 g
|Cholesterol 0 mg
|Sodium 414 mg
|Potassium 196 mg
|Total Carbohydrate 33 g
|Dietary Fiber 5 g
|Sugars 11 g
|Protein 7 g
If you have a recipe you would like to share, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manager of Program Development
CommunityCare of Lyme