Broccoli Tater Tots
Submitted by Anna Pippin, MSHN
Who loves tater tots? These homemade baked broccoli tater tots are much healthier than the frozen pre-fried ones and they are great for getting in your extra veggies! Only two main ingredients – potatoes and broccoli! That’s it! They are kid approved and make a tasty side dish or snack.
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) bags frozen broccoli florets that have been thawed, or 8 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder (optional)
- Olive oil
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and cook potatoes for 20-30 minutes, until fork tender but still have some give in the middle. Drain water and let potatoes cool until they are comfortable to handle. It’s best if they are still warm.
- Once potatoes are warm enough to handle, remove the skins either with your fingers or with a potato peeler.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grate potatoes on the large side of a box grater and place into a large bowl.
- Place the broccoli into a food processor or blender and blend until it’s in very small pieces, 30 seconds – one minute. If you need to add a little water so it blends, that’s ok. You may need to do it in two batches. Place broccoli onto a kitchen towel or strainer to squeeze or drain all excess water out.
- Add the broccoli to the grated potatoes along with the salt and garlic powder and mix everything together. Make sure to mix very well because if you have pockets that are mainly broccoli the tater tots won’t form together as well.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Use your hands to form small cylinders with the mixture. Use about 1 tablespoon per tater tot. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 10 minutes to allow them to firm up.
- Brush the top of each tater tot with a small amount of olive oil and sprinkle each one with salt. Bake tater tots until browned a crispy, about 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway though. Makes approximately 40 tots, depending on size.
|Amount Per Serving
|% Daily Value *
|Total Fat 1 g
|Saturated Fat 0 g
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
|Trans Fat 0 g
|Cholesterol 0 mg
|Sodium 832 mg
|Potassium 994 mg
|Total Carbohydrate 32g
|Dietary Fiber 7 g
|Sugars 4 g
|Protein 7 g
Recipe from: https://www.shelikesfood.com/4-ingredient-broccoli-tater-tots/