Lyme Electric Vehicle Buying Resource
Update – May 2021
compiled by Lyme neighbor Harry Higgs
I have updated the Electric Vehicle Buying Resource (click for the current full version) for May. This post includes the updated items.
I have added two more EVs to the list, making the total (that I know about) 15 EVs and 13 plug-in hybrids in Lyme.
- One of the new EVs is, to my knowledge, the first Volkswagen EV to cross our borders. Here is some useful information on that:
- It’s the Volkswagen ID.4 Pro, a compact SUV. Until recently, Tesla was the only company that had larger-sized EV options, so this represents a big step in expanding the options. It has about a 260 mile range.
- They test-drove the car at the Miller Auto Group on Route 120/Heater Road, where they also drove the Volvo Recharge XC40 (another relatively new SUV EV option).
- They are leasing it, which is a viable option on most EVs (I’m not sure about Teslas on that). They decided to lease because they needed a new car and wanted it to be an EV, but realize that the EV landscape is going to change a lot in the next couple of years and they want to see what happens before they buy. Both the Volkswagen ID.4 and the Volvo Recharge are 4WD and bigger than a compact car, which is like the Tesla Model Y, but both these cars are less expensive.
- They did not do the lease through Volkswagen of Lebanon, because there is a very limited number of cars available (Volkswagen is only taking ‘pre-orders’). Once they decided they wanted the ID.4, they called around a bunch of dealers in NH, VT and MA, and found that Kelly VW in Danvers MA had a car that the customer had decided against after ordering it. So, off they went to Danvers!
- They loved the Volvo Recharge as well, but the reason they did not go with that was that the dealer was not passing along the $7500 tax credit for leases.
- One worry that they had with a non-Tesla EV was the relative lack of charging stations. However, there is a fast charging station in Bradford, for example. They’ve been able to go to Middlebury and back very comfortably on a single charge. They’ve been to Plymouth NH as well, and were able to plug in at Plymouth State, where Liberty Utilities provides charging for free!
- Somebody contributed this article about Ford’s new Mustang Mach-E, which looks like a pretty incredible EV. Another sign that the market is really opening up in terms of options. https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/05/why-ford-mustang-mach-e-so-important-climate/618801/
- Here is an interesting piece from the PBS Newshour on the challenges of moving away from fossil fuels. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/bidens-dream-of-an-electric-future-faces-an-uphill-battle-heres-why
- As a balance to the last point, I don’t think I’ve made the drive between here and Hanover recently WITHOUT seeing an EV on the road, which is really pretty exciting.
Spring is definitely here!