News and Notes:
Updated Covid-19 recommended precautions for fully-vaccinated people.
Vaccination is both safe and also the best protection against serious illness and death due to Covid-19. If you have not been vaccinated, it is now easy. Click here to find the most convenient site for the vaccine of your choice. Also watch for “pop-up” walk-in vaccination clinics happening frequently, including Saturday 9am-4:30pm and Sunday 9am-1pm at the Orford Flea Market by the food tent.
Due to the rapid spread of the delta variant of Covid-19, the CDC has revised its recommendations. Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Dartmouth College, and local businesses and organizations have changed their safety protocols. Practices for opening, working from home, masking, and distancing will be evolving in response to changing conditions, locally and wherever we may travel. Again, it’s time for patience and respect – for our own health and that of others. Isn’t it always?
Contact us if you have questions, and we’ll do our best to get you to the most up-to-date answers. Email email@example.com or call 603-795-0603.
Celebrating this month …
Family Fun Month. The month of August is a celebration of fun! As the days of summer wear on, and we’ll share some fun ideas to make this month well, fun! Here are a few fun ideas for this upcoming week:
- August 7: International Beer Day – Stop by a local brewery, eat at a local tavern!
- August 10: S’mores Day – Have a bonfire with friends, family and neighbors and spend an evening sharing campfire tales and of course, s’mores.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have ideas for our community summer bucket list. We’d love to hear from you!
Blueberries! They’re amazing at Super Acres (More than 1,000 bushes planted in 1986, all natural, nothing but sun and rain. Self-Serve, pick-your-own, open every day, all day. 722 River Road, Lyme, just south of the covered bridge. 603-353-9807) Kingland Farms – Hewes Blues ($4.00 per pint, pick-your-own. They have buckets to pick into for measurement, bring your own containers to carry your blueberries home. 72 Goose Pond Rd Lyme, NH 03768. From Lyme Green travel south on Rte 10 towards Hanover. Take a left onto Goose Pond Rd. Stay left at the fork with Rennie Rd. Look for the Blueberries and the OPEN Flag on the left.) and at Cedar Circle Farm (The patch is 1/2 mile south of the farmstand, on Pavillion Road in Thetford. Park at “Sunny Fields Berry Farm” 802-785-4737.)
National Make-a-Will Month. Wills are how we let others know our goals and plans for our assets (like our money and our home) and our health care, so that when we’re gone or can no longer make our own decisions, our wishes are honored. During this month, we’ll explore different aspects of will-making. See Patty’s message above and this week’s Wellness Wednesday post below, to begin the conversation.
Weekly health and well-being tips, resources, and recipes …
Monday’s Menu. Click here to read this week’s recipe, Ratatouille, from Anna Pippin, MSHN. Anna says, “Ratatouille is hearty and filling, yet it’s made entirely of vegetables—eggplant, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and zucchini—making it both nutritious and low in calories! This delicious dish is also high in vitamin C and A, potassium, and fiber! Try it on pasta, with salad, as a side dish, or completely on it’s own!” Click here to see all the Monday’s Menu recipes.
Wellness Wednesday. Click here for this week’s post, “The Gift of a Will” a message from Michael Redmond, Executive Director of the Upper Valley Haven with a generous offer to the community, in honor of National Make-A-Will Month. See all the Wellness Wednesday posts here.
If you have a wellness tip or a healthful recipe you would like to share, please contact email@example.com.
Those Guys Tent Rentals!
Those Guys are renting their tents for this outdoor season. As always, funds raised through this effort are distributed to community organizations. This post includes all the details. We are extremely grateful for Those Guys’ support. What a crew!
We are here. Every day. 603-795-0603 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reach out when you or someone you care about needs a hand. If you could use information, help, a listening ear or ways to bring someone else joy, contact us at 603-795-0603 or help@CCLyme.org. Our phone is answered every day, usually in person. Our welcoming living room in the Lyme Center Academy is a terrific place to relax, read, visit with friends, or meet with a CCL team member. It is now open often during the week and by appointment. Give us a call to confirm times. Be in touch, any time. You’ll reach a friendly voice, a little (or a lot of) help, and creative, safe ways to be involved.
There is a LOT going on out there! Check out the Lyme Events Calendar (a selection of events from lots of calendars), the Valley News Calendar (especially for all kinds of arts in the area, but lots more), Lyme organizations (see several links at the end of this message) or the Aging Resource Center for ideas.
Lyme is happening!
We are pleased to pass on news shared by Lyme organizations about their summer plans.
- Lyme Food Pantry. Hosted by CCL every Tuesday at 1pm at Lyme Congregational Church. Farmers market style produce, plus non-perishable items. Call ahead to let us know what you’d like (603-795-0603), or just stop by. DELIVERY AVAILABLE.
- Lyme Town Band. Concerts upcoming, with date TBD.
- Bargain Barn. Open with M,W,F and Saturday hours. Clothing, bric-a-brac, household objects, linens, jewelry and accessories, among other items. Proceeds benefit area nonprofit organizations.
- Lyme Historians. Museum and Barn are open on Saturdays and Wednesdays. Chesley Schoolhouse open the last Sundays of summer months.
- VegiCare. Monday drop-offs of gardeners’ bounty and love-filled produce deliveries to neighbors.
- Crossroads Academy. Weekly summer programs. New topics each week. Remember that the Pearl Dimick Fund offers summer camp scholarships. The CCL Jenks Fund can also help.
Live Music is Happening!
Here are some of the many live music happening around the Upper Valley.
- FREE Nexus Music and Arts Festival presented by Lebanon Opera House Friday-Sunday, August 13-15 in and around Colburn Park, extending to the pedestrian mall and the revitalized rail trail tunnel. Regional touring artists, LOH’s community arts partners, and student-artists, plus public art and al fresco dining.
- Classicopia. Broadway Violin. Sunday August, 15 1PM. First Cong. Church of Lebanon.
- Front Porch Concert Series. Series held each Thursday starting at 7pm at Colburn Park in Lebanon. Rain Location: First Congregational Church at 10 South Park Street Lebanon.
- Thursday Night Concert Series. Lake Morey Resort from 8-10pm. Proceeds benefit Umbrella. Concert series runs through August. Lake Morey Resort also hosts live entertainment each Friday and Saturday night throughout the summer on their Lakefront patio.
- The Weekend Tune Up Series. Every Friday at 7pm at the Salt Hill Pub in West Lebanon, enjoy “the Upper Valley’s best live acoustic rock”.
- Music in the Meadow. Tuesdays, July 20 – August 24th at the Grantham Recreational Park from 6:00 – 8:00pm. Featuring live music, and food trucks.
- Front Porch Music Series. Saturdays at 4pm at Salt Hill Pub in West Lebanon. Enjoy acoustic rock, country and Americana on their front porch.
- Skunk Hollow Tavern in Hartland Four Corners. Wednesday Open Mic 5:30-8:30pm, and live bands on Fridays 5:30-8:30pm
Save the Date:
- Saturday (10/2): Thai Meal on the Common, raising funds for Lyme Congregational Church and CommunityCare of Lyme 5-7pm. Paphanh is giving back, with gratitude for the community.
- Sunday (10/17): CCL Blue Jeans and Bluegrass Community Appreciation Celebration, 3-7pm at the Ramsden’s barn on Breck Hill. Dan Freihofer and the Dinosaurs will play! LOTS more to come.
Lyme Events Calendar information is gathered from multiple sources, including the town, library, local bulletins and businesses. Here are a few direct links to organizations’ full schedules:
Lyme and other local listservs
Lyme Library Calendar
Lyme Community and Church Newsletter
Lyme School Events Listing
Town of Lyme Website
Daybreak Upper Valley daily newsletter Click to subscribe
Valley News online calendar
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Aging Resource Center
Please share any additions or edits to calendar items, so that we can include them in the online calendar.